Hello, My name is Kelsey Stewart and I am in the process of becoming an educator. My university studies have mainly focused on history and anthropology. I have found throughout these studies that I enjoy learning and analyzing the human population both present and in the past. These studies transfer into my everyday life through how I see and interact within the world now. I plan on bringing what I have learned from these two disciplines into my teaching practice by considering my students’ life history while understanding how the history of education may affect my students learning today.  

Although I have studied history from all over the world, I chose to focus my studies on Indigenous cultures in Canada. Learning and understanding Indigenous cultures within Canada is very important to me I am both Metis and Cree. Due to many different historical reasons such as residential schools and ongoing colonization, my immediate family has never practiced indigenous culture and therefore I am using my higher education to gain information on the culture my family has lost. This challenge goes hand in hand with my future teaching career as well. I aim to provide my students with a variety of cultural education but focus on Indigenizing my teaching practice in the name of reconciliation. 

Outside of school, I am very interested in the physical activity of all kinds. I enjoy a good competition but also love a nice hike. I am a very outdoorsy person from camping, hiking, snowmobiling. I plan on transferring this interest into my classroom by allowing my students to learn outdoors.