Part 2:

Website: SD73 Aboriginal Resources (SD73, 2019)

This website has an abundance of local and non-local Indigenous resources and information. This website includes residential school resources, connections to Indigenous pedagogy and how to implement into a classroom setting, Indigenous core competency lesson plans, and plenty more for all grade levels. I will implement the three above recommendations of the TRC using this website by incorporating local Indigenous animal lessons provided and incorporate the animals’ spiritual meaning to compliment the learning intent we are covering. For example, using coyotes and their cultural association communication to highlight the importance/ aspects of respectful communication for English Language Arts. 

Book: Shi-shi-etko, by Nicola Campbell (Ages 4-8) (Campbell, 2005)

This book follows Shi-shi-etko who is a young girl who has four days before she leaves her community for residential school. This book focuses on the cultural knowledge her parents share with her before she leaves and together they collect objects for Shi-shi-etko to put into a memory bag to take with her to school. This is the perfect book for younger students as it covers residential schools in an age-appropriate way. I could use this book in a lesson by having a discussion on the importance of culture and how residential schools took this culture away. I could get my students to create their own memory bag with objects that represent their own culture or represents something important to them and then get the students to share their bags to show diversity within the classroom. 

Video: Creation Story (Educational Videos, 2019)

This video is an example of an oral story given by an elder that discusses Indigenous views on how the earth was created. I could incorporate this video into one of my lessons as a hook to introduce my students to Indigenous oral storytelling and its cultural relevance. Students could discuss the similarities and differences between Indigenous oral storytelling and Western storybooks. 

Reference List:

Campbell, Nicola (2005). Shi-shi-etko. Groundwood Books. 

Educational Videos. (2019). Retrieved from https://www.sacredrelationship.ca/videos/

Russell, Bertrand. (1985). On Education: Especially in Early Childhood. Routledge

Publications. 

SD73 Aboriginal Resources. (2019). Retrieved from

https://sites.google.com/gedu.sd73.bc.ca/aboriginal-resources/home?authuser=

&fbclid=IwAR3jfYfc-0kNQEXiAIgzUuixbcaBxzOfvJYnMszROgpsRJ-5HbrGeWocads